Thursday, January 5, 2012

Product Review: Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket

Stewart Crouch

If you are considering a versatile, functional, good looking, water-proof textile jacket you have to consider this from Joe Rocket. I had the opportunity to give one a try for 2 days during a recent trip to the Smoky Mountains.


Each morning the temperature was in the high 50s to low 60s and even without the removable, insulated, full-sleeve liner the jacket was very comfortable (and I get cold easily). I am confident that with the liner installed and the waterproof membrane zipped, I could easily stand temperatures in the mid to upper 40s.



Men's Atomic 4.0 Jacket in Red
In the afternoon, the temperature would climb to the mid 80s. There are six zippered vents, 2 on the arms, 2 on the chest and 2 on the back that made it easy to adjust as the mercury climbed. I found I could open or close the front 4 as I needed while riding down the road. (Although, I do recommend you always pull off the road to a safe parking spot before attempting to adjust any zippers.) The zippers are a little stiff, but that is understandable since they are waterproof.



I got caught in one typical mountain deluge that lasted about 10 minutes. Had I stopped to zip up the waterproof membrane liner, my upper body would have remained completely dry. But it was hot out and the cool rain actually felt good. I like the idea of having a waterproof jacket (should I get caught in a storm and want to actually stay dry).  This way I don't have to carry a separate rain suit jacket.
Ladies Atomic 4.0 Jacket in White

I also like the style and look of the jacket. It is flashy without being gaudy.

Ok, so we have a 600 Rock Tech outer shell with removable armor in the elbows and shoulders as well as a back protector. There is also great ventilation and it is 100% waterproof with waterproof zippers. You can customize the fit with the adjustable waistband and snap adjustments on the sleeves. If you ever had an issue with a jacket rising up as you ride, they have that covered also with a zipper for attaching the jacket to a pair of Joe Rocket pants or snap hooks for your belt.

This really is an incredible jacket but I still have not mentioned the best part. It is only $159.95 retail in black, red, blue, gray and neon. Two years ago a jacket like this would have easily been $250 or more.  There's also a Joe Rocket Ladies Atomic 4.0 Jacket that retails for $134.99 in black, white, pink or purple.
You want a versatile jacket, loaded with features for a great price?


I did, so I bought one.


The mercury is on the rise again soon...so go ride!


Stewart


By the way, during the month of January 2012, if we see you "Reshare" anything Diamond Motor Sports posts on our Facebook fan page between now and January 31st, you'll earn an entry to win a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket.  The more you Reshare DMS Facebook posts, the more entries you earn, the more chances you get to win!  We'll stop counting entries at 6:30 pm on Tuesday, January 31st.  Then we'll randomly choose a winner from all Reshare entries.  We'll announce the winner on our Facebook page before 7 pm on the 31st.

No comments:

Post a Comment